Advertisement
Total Articles 5

2011-Aug

Golden Ears Measurements F.A.Q.

Nick Name: Golden Ears Registered Date: Aug 09, 2011, 11:26:34 IP ADRESS: *.37.113.239 Views: 34978

Golden Ears Measurements FAQ

Q) Why do measurements from Golden Ears disagree with data from other websites?

A) The raw data of earphones and headphones are unique to each measuring equipment. And this sort of raw data is different from what we actually hear - which necessitates some calibration to shape the data into what is perceived. At GE, we do this by taking the Diffuse Sound Field and the Room EQ into account, but the method of calibration varies between websites.

Q) Which data is more accurate?

A) This is not a good question since what we mean by a 'flat' sound signature is not set in stone for the reasons that are discussed below. That is, because both the measured data and how to display them depend on setup, calibration and methodolgy, there isn't a single right answer.

Q) So you have random, arbitrary standards?

A) While there might not be a single right answer, some answers are more right than others. At GE, we measure and display according to the following standard:

1. Setup: A Bruel & Kjaer HATS (Head and Torso Simulator) Type 4128C is used - this equipment is generally considered to yield the most accurate measurements (built to the average torso and ears of people worldwide). It is also among the most expensive HAT Simulators.

2. Calibration: A correction must be made to take distortion due to the setup (such as shape of the ears) into account - in case of the Bruel & Kjaer Head and Torso Simulator Type 4128C, the equipment comes with a set of data to be used for calibration. At Golden Ears, the Diffuse Sound Field data provided by B&K is used in conjunction with the Room EQ characteristic (the distortion caused by the room when listening to speakers) from Etymotic Research to correct distortion.

3. Methodology: At Golden Ears, RTA(Real Time Analysis) is employed to check for fit (earphones and headphones) before we proceed with the actual measurements. If there are multiple earfoams, we measure and post data for each pair.

Q) Do you adjust your measurements, then?

A) You'll notice that earphones and headphones sound significantly different based on how they are worn - likewise, the measurements tend to change significantly. Users who visit GE are very surprised when they see the RTA data change so much before their eyes. There are several things that we could do about this:

1. Measure once and post

This is very inaccurate and unreliable.

2. Measure several times, and post all of them

While this method has the most relevance to real-life usage, the amount of data might be overwhelming for some.

3. Measure several times, and post the average

This would be the preferred method since it is fair and accurate, but unfortunately not too many softwares support averaging (ARTA used by GE also lacks this feature).

4. Using RTA to obtain optimal data

The Real Time Analyzer is able to process data as the signature (due to the fit) changes, and thus a single measurement with RTA is effectively several without. Furthermore, the RTA provides immediate feedback on how the fit impacts the sound, making it the best alternative.

At GE, the second and fourth methods are used.

Q) Is there a reason why GE does not publish raw data before corrections?

A) Raw data from each test product(earphones, headphones) varies depending on hardware (HATS or Artificial Ear) used to measure them. Thus, the raw data is useless even if it is published - this also means that you should not compare across websites or sources unless the data from both were calibrated using the same corrections. For instance, if two sets of data were calibrated using 'Diffuse Sound Field only', then it is possible to compare them to each other, though some difference might remain when comparing across sources.

Q) Shouldn't the acoustic impedance be calibrated differently for dynamic and balanced armature drivers?

A) Acoustic impedance is related to the structure and dimensions of the measuring equipment, and the relevant corrections are provided by the equipment manufacturer - also, the difference in the mode of operations (balanced armature or dynamic) does not necessarily mean that the calibration needs to be done differently.

In fact, if this were the case, Etymotic Research's ER-4Ps (which uses Balanced Armature) and MC5s (Dynamic) should have completely different trebles, which is not the case.

Q) I don't really know, but I've heard that GE's data is wrong sometimes.

A) As explained before, the discussion of audio measurements being 'wrong' and 'right' is in itself a show of ignorance - the unfortunate part is that the people who call us out usually have little understanding of how we measure, and frankly, it is difficult to understand where we are criticized. If you have any criticisms, please let us know in the Suggestions Forum so we may address it.

Q) Does it make me a GE Hater or Skeptic if I criticize or pose difficult questions?

A) Questions are always welcome - they are a necessary part of learning and furthermore the life and soul of science, which is what Golden Ears is about. Especially welcome are criticisms where the intent is to correct GE where it is wrong - all of us make mistakes, and corrections to these mistakes are essential to ensure that GE moves forward.

What we do not appreciate is the sort of dogmatic criticism that are hurled without sure knowledge or clearly defined points (for instance, regarding places where there is no clear cut line between right and wrong as in measurements).

Q) Are you an expert? What makes your data so reliable?

A) How would you define an 'expert'? What makes a website reliable?

If I proclaimed myself to be a 'master of measuring gifts', would that make me an expert? Or, would having a degree from a prestigious institution in the field of acoustics such as the ISVR make one an expert? As for the site itself, would it make GE more publicly credible if our net worth became larger than Microsoft? Would using more expensive equipment to measure establish credibility?

For some, the things listed above might be exactly what sets an expert and a trustworthy website apart from others; but I am sure that there are many more of us who believe that credibility is not established overnight merely by adhering to those things.

My belief is that if I continue to publish empirical, reproducible results with which more people could relate, and if my logic is convincing enough, I would be considered an expert, and that once more and more users find the similarities between the measured data in reviews and what they hear, Golden Ears would naturally gain credibility. :)

Creative Commons License
Images, text and measured data by Golden Ears Corporation is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Golden Ears Test System - for more information (Link)
1. HATS: Bruel & Kjær - Head and Torso Simulator Type 4128C
2. Microphone Amplifier: Bruel & Kjær - NEXUS Conditioning Amplifier 
3. Audio Interface: Lynx L22
4. DAC: Golden Ears D/A Converter
5. Headphone Amplifier: Golden Ears Headphone Amplifier 

How we test
1. Headphone / Earphone
2. Speaker
3. Amplifier / DAP

How to read G.E. Graph
1. Earphone / Headphone
2. Speaker (Directivity Pattern)
3. DAP / Amplifier

Tag
Attachment

Comment '50'

Abelee

2014.08.19 10:39

I am also interested in this topic. I have spent a lot of time on searching this kind of topic. It is very informative. buy phentermine online

dr driving apk

2016.05.30 12:46

Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome! dr driving apk

uali20

2016.06.18 01:37

Great articles and great layout. Your blog post deserves all of the positive feedback it’s been getting.
Muscle

uali20

2016.06.18 01:41

howdy, your websites are really good. I appreciate your work.
download pc games

uali20

2016.06.18 01:46

I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice.

​sattamatka.com

eliza

2016.08.04 00:44
It is good thing that you have shared on the study of the place. I think that studies like this will be helpful in evaluating about the places and to know about the residential values of the place. Thank you for sharing.  <style type="text/css"></style>www.yunxuange.net

eliza

2016.08.13 03:34
I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. http://www.GARAGEDOORREPAIRBELMONTNC.COM

uali20

2016.06.18 01:54

Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.
Deck Awning

uali20

2016.06.18 03:19
Thank you for such a well written article.  It’s full of insightful information and entertaining descriptions.  Your point of view is the best among many.
<style type="text/css"></style>http://instabuylikesgram.com

uali20

2016.06.18 03:25

I wish more authors of this type of content would take the time you did to research and write so well.  I am very impressed with your vision and insight.
buy safe guarantee

asd

2016.07.31 03:39
Awesome article!  I want people to know just how good this information is in your article.  It’s interesting, compelling content.  Your views are much like my own concerning this subject.
<style type="text/css"></style>http://www.GARAGEDOORREPAIRROCKHILLSC.COM

eliza

2016.08.03 02:40

Keep doing awesome read few posts on this site and I consider that your web journal is exceptionally fascinating and has sets of fabulous data <style type="text/css"></style>ft mill nc garage doors repair

eliza

2016.08.04 00:45

I havent any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post.... asamilwaukee.org

bus simulator 2015

2016.05.30 12:46

You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this... bus simulator 2015

scary maze game

2016.05.30 12:47

We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. scary maze game

uali20

2016.06.18 00:45
This article was written by a real thinking writer.  I agree many of the with the solid points made by the writer.  I’ll be back.
<style type="text/css"></style>food service resume

uali20

2016.06.18 00:57

An interesting dialogue is price comment. I feel that it is best to write more on this matter, it may not be a taboo topic however usually individuals are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers.
www.philipboothmedia.com

uali20

2016.06.18 01:01
Impressive web site, Distinguished feedback that I can tackle. Im moving forward and may apply to my current job as a  pet sitter, which is very enjoyable, but I need to additional  expand. Regards.
<style type="text/css"></style>www.imb-online.net

uali20

2016.06.18 01:13

Keep up the good  work , I read few posts  on this  web site  and I  conceive that your blog  is very   interesting and has   sets  of  fantastic   information.
selong.org

uali20

2016.06.18 01:25

Hi there! Nice stuff, do keep me posted when you post again something like this!
veneers

uali20

2016.06.18 01:32

Is it okay to post part of this on my website basically post a hyperlink to this webpage?
My Beauty Blog

dfs

2016.07.22 18:42
It could be that my slow net connection is causing the problem, ... i just bookmarked this content on my device so that i can quicker find you site. thanks! <style type="text/css"></style>status for whatsapp

uali20

2016.06.28 04:07
I know your expertise on this. I must say we should have an online discussion on this. Writing only comments will close the discussion straight away! And will restrict the benefits from this information.
<style type="text/css"></style>http://instabuylikesgram.com/

eliza

2016.08.30 02:49
Although I welcome anyone to request a quote or apply for my services, I have always found it to be easier to offer long term support and services to clients that are within my time
<style type="text/css"></style>garage doors comapny indian trail nc

aftabak

2016.07.23 07:01

"This is a secret article"

:

aftabak

2016.07.23 07:01

arranging, center, visual workout, rationale and math, that can be exceptionally helpful and material, in actuality, circumstance.  playbox-hd.net

john4545

2016.07.24 02:02

very nice post, it was quite fun iphone 7 cases

eliza

2016.08.22 02:48
I was surfing net and fortunately came across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information. <style type="text/css"></style>http://www.bestgaragedoorscharlotte.com/

Louis Vuitton Outlet

2014.09.02 01:53
difficult for both of you. To simplify being with your ex, try avoiding a few things. Although the two of
who has been in your field for a long true religion time, helps us to learn from his mistakes and avoid repeating those in
proteins, and fats, and even Nike Free provide benefits like boosting the immune system, protecting the heart, and
your ex could be possible, or a High Heel Shoes necessity, if you both share a child together, work at the same place, attend
positions, then they are true religion outlet not approachable", and the most common reason of them all, "I didn't feel the need
career-related crisis. ture religion sale Yet, it is surprising to see that not many people have mentors, and there may be
the dark. ray ban outlet But it does need a light source at the start to absorb the light. This phenomenon is shown by true religion jeans
marine creatures, and hence, is easily confused for bioluminescence.hocolate city' Hershey. As you know,
the verge of Cheap Moncler Jackets choosing your career, or have been in your current field for quite sometime, or haven't received
or when Michael Kors Purses the sac which holds the egg does not dissolve (normally, it should). Such cysts formed during
of fluorescence, [chenhuangjin] but the absorbed light is released for an extended duration of time, and hence, can show in
changed christian louboutin outlet numerous times, and the last one, David Grohl, was on the throne for the longest duration (about 4
Christian Louboutin Outlet Store />run and dart like Flash to avoid being caught by predators. And although they are rare, they were quite Moncler Outlet Online
cure one. Yet, if one Christian Louboutin Shoes could have a survival kit that contains stuff that would alleviate the specific
the vacation in, the mind simply goes blank. Of course, there are endless possibilities when it comes to
nature, has made it quite nba jerseys difficult to study them in detail. Add to that the fact that their camouflaging fur
to approach a Christian Louboutin career mentor." Having a mentor is like asking another person to look at your situation from a
Russian names given below, which are a mixture of traditional and contemporary ones. Some are cute, while
but Michael Kors wasn't very successful, despite being critically acclaimed. The third album 'In Utero' braced the music
survival kit to new balance your friend's bachelor's party, and I am sure you will be thanking me the next morning. Its
careful Louis Vuitton Outlet with words. What you say after a breakup can be held against you, making the moving-on process quite
Moncler Coats />will soon find yourself in a need to maintain cordial equation with your ex. A situation to be friends michael kors outlet with

messi

2014.09.12 14:37

Really your blog is very interesting.... it contains great and unique information. I enjoyed to visiting your blog. Its just amazing.... Thanks very much. buy adderall online

messi

2014.11.13 08:39

Thank you so much for posting this informative Information. order vicodin es online

messi

2014.11.13 10:28

There are many things I dont know before and after reading your great Information I know now. buy percocet pills

messi

2014.11.13 11:04

I know some great sources of information but you share amazing article and I like it. order adderall online

messi

2014.11.13 11:35

You seriously clarify this information very well and its really helps a lot. Thanks buy codeine

messi

2014.11.13 12:16

You share really outstanding article I know that everyone like this article and so do I. order hydrocodone online

messi

2014.11.13 13:31

I want to tell you that Please keep on posting because this is awesome post you shared. buy lortab pills

messi255

2014.11.13 14:11

Fresh information available in this website and I will surely bookmark this one. buy valium roche

messi

2014.11.13 14:52

I want to tell you that Please keep on posting because this is awesome post you shared. buy xanax pills

uali20

2016.06.28 04:05
You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant!
<style type="text/css"></style>instagram likes free fast

buy codeine online

2014.09.05 10:31
I just got to this amazing site not long ago. I was actually captured with the piece of resources you have got here. Big thumbs up for making such wonderful blog page!
buy codeine online

adam1

2014.09.05 11:01
I just got to this amazing site not long ago. I was actually captured with the piece of resources you have got here. Big thumbs up for making such wonderful blog page!
buy hydrocodone online

Buy xanax online

2014.09.05 11:02
I am speechless after seeing these pictures! I love them all! I teach kindergarten and I'm going to make a theme, and photographs have given me so many ideas! You are so talented! Thanks!
Buy xanax online

adam1

2014.09.05 11:05
But I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to take a look at and do it! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, quite nice post
buy phentermine online

adam1

2014.09.05 11:06
buy vicodin es online

Aaron

2014.09.05 13:07

"This is a secret article"

:

HARRY

2014.09.05 13:09
I really enjoy simply reading all of your weblogs. Simply wanted to inform you that you have people like me who appreciate your work. Definitely a great post. Hats off to you! The information that you have provided is very helpful. 
buy vicodin es online

adam

2014.09.05 13:42
On blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to take a look at and do it! 
buy watson online

adam

2014.09.05 13:42
Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, quite nice post
buy adderall online

adam

2014.09.05 14:15
Really i appreciate the effort you made to share the knowledge.The
buy codeine online
topic here i found was really effective to the topic which i was researching for a long time

adam1

2014.09.05 14:16
buy lortab online
Maximum Attachments : 0Byte/ 10.00MB
Maximum File Size : 2.00MB (Allowed Extensions : *.*)

List of Articles
No. Subject Nick Name Date Views
  • Registered Date: Aug 09, 2011

VIEWS

COMMENTED

• Registered Date: Aug 08, 2011

VIEWS

COMMENTED

VIEWS

COMMENTED